Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Miss Independent? Miss self-sufficient?

"Miss Independent. Miss self-sufficient. Miss keep your distance...


No wonder there are so many wounded women in the world confused about who they are and who they should be! I know I was there. I was once one of the ones that was confused. Listening to the lyrics of Eminem and others, having no guidance as an adolescent girl, and pouring myself into the things that seemed to get me the most attention and win me the most love.  As a naive adolescent I bought the lie that I was supposed to be 'miss independent'.  I bought the lie that I was supposed to play the game to win the guy, to be self-sufficient, and to say 'don't worry I got it'. But what does the Bible say? What does the Christian community say? 

In Captivating John and Stasi Eldredge discus our innate desires to look to one another in relationships for validation-- a validation that is not going to be found nor is it reliable. 

"If he [or she] hasn't found that deep validation he [or she] needs from God, he's [she's] a sitting duck....... "That is why we spoke of Romance with him [God] first. It comes first. It must. It has to. Adam is a far too unreliable source-amen!"  
John and Stasi Eldredge

And what about this desire I am filled with to make it look like I've got it all together? Got wants our broken hearts- our vulnerabilities! 

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. " Psalm 51:17 

"For this is what the high and lofty One says- he who lives forever, whose name is holy: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the heart of the contrite." Isaiah 57:15

The Lord tells us over and over again of this Truth. "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit"  Think of the great women of the Bible. What are there characteristics? Ruth, Ester, Mary, Rahab, Tamar. They are courageous, their trust in the Lord is NOT subjective. They are quietly cunning, and are incredibly vulnerable. All of these women risked severe consequence by their people by going against their cultures to follow the prodding and commands of the Lord. Let us all, women, following the examples given us by these women, go against our own cultures, begin a deep Romance with our Lord, and give Him and only Him our broken hearts and vulnerabilities that He may heal us! 



1 comment:

  1. For a second there, I thought you might have been Voddie. Preach it

    ReplyDelete